Friday, February 22, 2008

The Last Alamo

Gibbo - I apologize for continuing to rant continuously on this subject, but I guess that I haven't gotten it off my chest yet and my frustration continues to build. After the game against France tomorrow if England win I will shut up. If they lose, then I also hope to shut up as I believe the axe will need to be swung with vigour around the England dressing room.

The two best teams in the tournament, are the two that have made the most unforced changes. The depth of coach's knowledge about his players and squad international experience that is starting to develop in Wales and France can be cultured for the next four years to create World cup contenders.

The farce that is happening in England and Ireland (I leave out Scotland and Italy as they both lack the talent to judge them harshly) is the antithesis of preparation for the next RWC. It is obvious that Lievremont and Gatland have both said winning is not everything, and without that burden playing with style has led to victory. England on the other hand have picked from experience to win, only to look like muppets in defeat to Wales and an attempted defeat to Italy.

Ireland may take some solace from their comeback against France, but it should not last long. Scoring points when the game is lost is also down to the psychology of the team that racked up a large margin and took their foot of the pedal.

For this weekend, Scotland do not have what it takes to really beat Ireland so it will be a walk in Croke Park for the Irish. Wales need to be smart, the Italians showed against Scotland and England that they can hurt you if you don't concentrate. The rotation in the welsh squad should be motivation enough to force such concentration and assure a solid victory.

As for England France. I hope for an English victory and to be proved wrong by Mr Ashton. I expect a French drubbing and to see a New England appear 3 games too late in a fortnight.

No comments: